The Purpose of United Methodist Women (UMW)
The Purpose is adopted by the General Conference of The United Methodist Church as the official mission statement of United Methodist Women:
United Methodist Women shall be a community of women whose purpose is to know God and to experience freedom as whole persons through Jesus Christ; to develop a creative, supportive fellowship; and to expand concepts of mission through participation in the global ministries of the church.
Out of the Purpose are four mission foci that relate to the mission initiatives and priorities of United Methodist Women:
- To be a community of women
- To know God
- To develop a creative and supportive fellowship
- To expand concepts of mission
The entire program and organization of United Methodist Women focuses on mission. Our mission initiatives include:
- Providing opportunities to grow spiritually
- Equipping women & girls to be leaders
- Providing transformative educational experiences
- Organizing for growth & flexibility
- Working for justice through service & advocacy
For more information, check out UnitedMethodistWomen.org
Here at BUMC we have three “circles” that support the general UMW missions and projects. In addition to fellowship, all of the circles participate in the following events / ministries:
- Special Mission Recognition Program
- Holiday Cookie Exchange
- Spring Garage Sale
- Back-packs for M.L.K. school children
- Prepare Easter Baskets
- Donate food to the local food bank
- Spring and Fall Communion Breakfast
Friendship Circle – The Friendship Circle has a variety of activities like:
- Seasonal craft
- Trip to Hunterdon Hills Playhouse
The Friendship Circle meets the 2nd Monday morning of the month. Additionally, we enjoy collecting food items for weekend food bags for Somerset County food bank and donating to the Heifer Organization.
Contact Nancy Manger at SraNCM@aol.com for more information about the Friendship Circle.
Lydia Circle – The Lydia Circle is an active group of women who enjoy informal fellowship on the second Thursday of each month. We are devoted to making a difference in the lives of others by:
- preparing P&J sandwiches for SHIP
- baking cookies for shut ins and Agape House
- making Valentines for Nursing homes
- filling Easter Eggs for Sunday school children
- participating in the Guardian Angel Program
Contact Lynne Kinch at email@example.com for more information about the Lydia Circle.
Priscilla Circle – The Priscilla Circle is a Bible & Christian Book Study group who meets on the fourth Monday night of the month in the homes of our members. We are involved in many activities throughout the Church:
- filling “chemo bags” for cancer patients
- making St. Patty’s day candy bags for the food bank
- participating in the Guardian Angel program
Contact Honda Bielefeldt at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about the Priscilla Circle.